How to Annoy People in Elevators
An elevator is almost the perfect environment to be a prankster. It’s easy to annoy people when you are cramped in such a small, tight space. Because elevator rides usually last less than a minute, make sure your pranks are quick and have a lot of punch. When annoying people on an elevator, keep your pranks lighthearted and fun as opposed to mean-spirited so that everyone leaving the elevator will have a pleasant story to tell.
Using the Elevator to Annoy People
Push all the buttons.When you get into the elevator, push the button for every floor. This makes everyone’s ride on the elevator longer, if only for a few seconds. If you want to take it a step further, look around questioningly at everyone in the elevator when no one gets off at the floors you pushed.
- When someone comes in, say, "I've got this," before you push all of the buttons.
- You can also push all the buttons as you reach the floor you are getting off at.
- If someone asks you why you pushed all the buttons, you can honestly say, "It was just a joke!"
Make a dinging noise at each floor.Every time the elevator reaches a new floor, say “ding!” very loudly. You can even sing the word “ding” on each floor like notes in a scale, getting higher as you reach each new floor.
- You can make other noises if you prefer, such as a bird cawing or an explosion sound every time a button is pushed.
- Alternatively, you can get a key chain that makes an annoying noise, such as a rubber ducky or mini blaster. Activate the key chain at every floor.
Talk to your reflection in the mirror.Many elevators have mirrors on the walls. A great way to be mischievous in an elevator is to carry on a running commentary while you look at yourself in the mirror.
- You could look at yourself, turning to catch different angles and say, “All right, all right, now we’re talking,” very loudly.
- You could also keep adjusting your shirt or your hair, keeping a running dialogue about what look is best for you.
- Stand in the corner of the elevator facing the wall. Don't say anything the whole ride.
Dance to the elevator music.Many elevators play music in the background, usually soft rock or smooth jazz. If you’re in an elevator that is playing music, start to dance. Start just bobbing your head and tapping your feet, and then get your whole body into it. Take up as much space as you can to dance until everyone is staring at you.
- While you want to be annoying, you should avoid bumping into or touching the other people in the elevator. This might get you into trouble.
- Don't worry about dancing well. You can even do a dance that doesn't go with the music, like the chicken dance to classical music.
Announce every floor.At every floor, make a loud announcement telling everyone the floor number. Say something like “Everyone going to floor ten, get off now! No time to dilly dally!”
- You can also pretend to conduct people onto the elevator, saying “All aboard the elevator train!”
- You can use your own voice, or you can mimic the voice that every pre-recording seems to have.
Exclaim that you've lost a beast.When the elevator is going from the bottom floor to the top, as soon as the doors close, exclaim that you lost your tarantula/snake/scorpion but confirm that it is somewhere in the elevator.
- Most people will probably see that this is a joke. However, if somebody looks seriously alarmed or is starting to panic, let them know that you were not being serious.
- If you are worried about causing panic, make it an imaginary beast, such as a Niffler or unicorn.
Build in or add something to the elevator.Try to keep safety in mind, however. Do this in a corner, and not in front of the door. For example, build a Lego city in the middle of the elevator. If the elevator is big enough, lay a Twister mat on the floor and ask people if they want to play.
- If you actually want people to interact with you, choose something that is simple, like asking them to tip over the dominos.
- If you have a friend with a sense of humor, get them to sit with you on the floor and play chess or checkers.
Talk to people.Greet people with a handshake, then ask them to call you captain. When there are a lot of people, say, "You're probably wondering why I've gathered you here today." Alternatively, you can any of these lovely ideas:
- Hold a lecture on a random subject, like the mating ritual of the Greater Sage Grouse.
- Pretend to be the leader of an obscure religion, like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
- Don't walk to anyone. Instead, roll back your eyes and say in a demonic voice: "I must find a more suitable host body." Look around, calculatingly.
Hold down the door open button or the door sensor.This makes passengers have to wait very long for the elevator to start moving. Keep in mind that this may not always work. Some elevators automatically force the doors to close after having the sensor or door open button held triggered for too long.
- Alternatively, stand in such a way that your foot or backpack blocks the door. When someone comments on it, say "Oh!" and step away, as though you hadnoidea.
Sing a repetitive song.Being loud is one of the easiest ways to annoy people. Singing a song is a great way to get under peoples’ skin since songs can easily get stuck in your head. Sing a short song like “It’s a Small World” or "The Song that Never Ends" over and over again to vex your fellow passengers.
- Alternatively, pick a popular song, but sing the words wrongs or out of order. For example, instead of singing "A, B, C..." you could sing "G, Z, T..."
- You can also sing a popular song, but with the wrong melody.
Play loud music.Use your phone or a portable radio to play loud, repetitive music. You can even sing along with it to be especially annoying, or dance like you’re in a club.
- When singing, it's best if you do it off-key and off-beat. If there are high notes, try to make them falsetto.
- Choose a song that is being overplayed; it will change every year, however. For example, whenFrozencame out, "Let It Go" was playing everywhere.
Play a musical instrument badly.Bring an instrument like a guitar or an accordion into the elevator. Start playing it and making random notes and chords without playing a song. It’s even more annoying when the instrument is especially loud or off-key.
- Alternatively, play an annoying instrument, such as the kazoo.
- You can also . Most people have bad memories of this from grade school.
- No instrument? No problem. You can hum instead. If you can do it off-key, all the better. Pick an annoying song, such as "It's a Small World."
Read to yourself loudly.Bring a book into the elevator and start reading loudly. Pretend to not notice people looking at you, and act as though it’s completely normal.
- Children's books are great for this, especially the early-reader ones.
- You can also read manuals or the instructions on the back of shampoo bottles.
- If you are reading instructions, try to sound as serious as possible, as though leaving that conditioner in your hair for 1 to 2 minutes is a big deal.
Clear your throat every few seconds.Even though it’s not a loud sound, the sound of someone clearing their throat repeatedly can be extremely annoying. Clear your throat as you get on the elevator. Wait a couple seconds and do it again. Keep clearing your throat until you get off.
- You can also burp, cough, or sniffle. Eventually, these types of things will get annoying.
Don't be a jerk.It's a fine line between being lighthearted and mischievous and being a jerk. Aim to brighten the day of your fellow passengers instead of making an annoying racket. Start out quietly, then if the passengers seem amused, continue your prank. If the passengers look annoyed or irritated, don't keep going.
- Remember, there is a fine line between being funny and harassment. If people start to look really mad or uncomfortable, stop.
- If someone politely asks you to stop doing something, do so, and apologize. Wait until they get off before continuing.
Stare at people.Staring at people is especially creepy in an elevator since you are in such close proximity with your fellow passengers. When someone notices you staring, don’t look away. Instead, widen your eyes and tilt your head so you look especially bizarre.
- When there is only one other person in the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and pretend it wasn't you.
- If you want to be creepy, you can take a step back, widen your eyes, then say: You're one of them!"
Pretend you have an imaginary friend.Carry on an animated one-sided conversation with an imaginary friend. Pause every couple seconds like you are listening to his replies and act as though you are responding to his questions and comments.
- Hold the door open, pretending to wait for a friend. After a few seconds, pretend to greet your imaginary friend saying, “Come in Jonathan, what took you so long?”
- Have your arm around an imaginary person, and whenever someone comes near, say, "You popped Bubble Buddy!"
- Pretend to have an imaginary pet. Open your bag, and whisper: "Got enough air in there?" You can give him a name too, like Kevin or George.
Pretend you’re an alien.Pretend that you’re observing everyone on the elevator as part of an alien study. Mutter to yourself periodically, “interesting, these humans” while you make notes on a notepad.
- Pretend to talk into a tape recorder and say something like, “Day 34. Inside a small rectangular box called an elevator. It seems to be an extremely slow method that humans use to transport themselves.”
- Alternatively, interview the humans. Ask them why they have to wear 2 pairs of pants: outer pants and secret pants.
- Roll up into a ball and cringe in the corner mumbling disturbing things to yourself, like "They are coming!" or "You're next, you're next!"
Keep moving around.Instead of standing still and waiting for the elevator to arrive at your floor, move around constantly. Stand in one spot for a few seconds, then shake your head and move to the opposite side of the elevator. Keep moving like you’re trying to find the optimal place to stand.
- You can also try an exercise, like Tai Chi or yoga.
- Alternatively, you can move with the frequency of the elevator.
- Fidget or pretend that you have an itch. The more itchy spots, the better.
Tap people on the shoulder.Stand behind someone and tap them on their shoulder. When they look around, give them a questioning look. After they turn back, wait a couple seconds and do it again.
- This works best if there are several people in the elevator.
- If you and the other person are the only ones in the elevator, you can say "What? It wasn't me!" Be aware that they could get really mad.
Reveal the joke at the end of the ride.If you don't let your fellow passengers in on the joke, they may interpret your eccentricity as creepiness. This is especially true for staring at people and tapping their shoulder. At the end of the ride, say something like, "I wanted you all to know that I was just messing with you! Enjoy the rest of your day!"
QuestionIs asking people jokingly for weird and unusual items an effective way to prank in an elevator?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTotally! don't ask for something inappropriate like a condom or anything like that, but you could definitely ask people if they have something unusual like, "Anybody here have a flute I can borrow?"Thanks!
QuestionAre there any other ways to annoy people on the elevator other than being loud and pushing all of the buttons on the elevator?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. When entering the elevator say, "Hello, everyone!" Then, as the ride continues, adjust your clothing and maybe open a snack in a crinkly wrapper. Continue moving around the elevator until you or everyone else gets off. When you leave, exclaim, "It was nice meeting all of you and I'll miss you!"Thanks!
QuestionCan I fake a bomb threat? That would totally annoy people.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. Bomb threats are very serious and it would not be a good idea to fake one, under any circumstances. You may be arrested.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I know the people in the elevator?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat can make it more funny! You'll probably feel more comfortable being over the top and silly with people you know. Keep it lighthearted, and don't be too mean. If your friends get annoyed or hostile, back off. You don't want to lose them over a joke.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if there is another prankster inside the elevator with me unintentionally?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry to go along with what they are doing, act like you're in on it, even though you probably aren't. That would annoy said prankster while they attempt to annoy the other passengers.Thanks!
QuestionWhy would you want to make a complete fool out of yourself by doing this? What if someone not only has no sense of humor, but tries to kill you?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWell, this seems extremely hypothetical and incredibly unlikely to happen. I mean, somebody killing you over a joke? They may become hostile, and that's your cue to back off.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if people get angry?kira juarezCommunity AnswerI doubt this could happen, but if you want to be sure you can try to do this with youth instead of the elderly, or just somebody who would find it humorous. If they do get angry, stop what you're doing immediately.Thanks!
QuestionCan you tell me what 80's song most annoys people?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerRick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up.Thanks!
- It’s better to be subtle with your pranks than to really make someone mad. Try not to cross the line, especially since you likely don’t know your fellow passengers.
- Get a friend to join in to make your antics twice as funny!
- Try to give people a story they can talk about later. Don’t be afraid to be weird: you probably won’t ever see these people again!
- Run into the elevator with a scared look on your face, then hide under someone or clutch their knees, and after the doors close, say innocently, "Are they gone?".
- Carry a big box labeled "Toenails".
- Pretend you're drowning.
- Run up to someone and say, "I finally found you! Why did you leave me!? It has been years!".
- Offer to spit-shine peoples' shoes for a dollar.
- When there is only one person in the elevator with you, stand really close to them and say, "Sorry, it's crowded." But don't move.
- Sit in the middle of an elevator and pretend to meditate.
- Sit or lie on the floor of the elevator and if anyone asks what you are doing yell "What did you do that for?" At the top of your lungs.
- Continuously ask people why they aren't taking the stairs.
- Moan about an aspect of the elevator, such as the music or the speed.
- Touch people to annoy them and when they look back at you, say “Hello” in a weird voice.
- If building management receive a complaint, you may have a trespassing order filed against you.
Sources and Citations
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Español: , Русский: , Italiano: , Português: , Français: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Nederlands:
Video: How to Annoy People on Elevators
Model Ebonee Davis on How Suffering Leads to Power
Instagram getting video chat feature
Who is Albert Bourla, next Pfizer CEO
5 Life-Saving Eating Rules For When Youre on Your Period
Why Tesla should be worried
How to Intimidate Opponents
HM For Men: SpringSummer 2014
Wondering How To Style A Graphic Tee Here’s Our Favorite Ways
The Coolest Workout Tech You Havent Heard of Yet
Kim Kardashian’s App Earned How Much This Year
How to Dump a Guy
It’s Official: Men Who Troll Women Are Losers – Literally