This Mom's Scary Story Shows How Dangerous It Can Be to Let Your Baby Sleep in an Adult Bed
After a two-foot fall from a queen-sized bed left her infant son in critical condition, one mom has taken to social media to share just how scary these types of accidents can be.
Paige Ferguson and Blake Linton were at a friend's house with their six-month-old son Colton when he dozed off, according to Babble. Like so many parents do, they placed him in the middle of their friend's bed, surrounded him with pillows, then went just outside the room to sit down. But the situation quickly turned tragic when Colton rolled off the bed and fell two feet to the floor.
"He had a bump on his head. A bump," Ferguson wrote in a on March 19 that has now been shared over 16 thousand times. "He was crying, acting alert, and at one point even smiled. Because we are paranoid parents, we decided to get him evaluated."
Because Paige and Blake had always heard that a bump that sticks out isn't as concerning as one that sinks in, and Colton had the former, they expected the doctor to give Colton a quick look over, say he was fine, and send them home. Instead, they found out that their son's injury was much worse than they originally thought.
"He fractured his skull and bled half of his entire blood volume into his brain," wrote Paige in her Facebook post. Before Paige knew it, a helicopter was on its way to rush Colton to a hospital in Memphis, Tennessee where he was put under the care of nearly 20 doctors and nurses.
"I knew something was wrong when I kept asking if he was going to be okay and everyone kept replying with 'We will do what we can,'" Paige told Babble. "No one would simply say yes."
As it turns out, the fall caused enough bleeding in Colton’s brain that he went into cardiac arrest. Over the next month, Colton underwent surgery and an MRI revealed significant brain damage that doctors predicted would leave him in a vegetative state, if he survived at all.
Paige tells GoodHousekeeping.com that she decided to share Colton's story to warn parents that even a small fall could leave a child fighting for his life.
"I just want parents to take hits to the head seriously," she explains. "They need to understand that just because your kid looks 'okay' doesn't mean they are. Get them checked out. Demand a CAT scan and make sure. Just because a bump comes out instead of sinking in, doesn't mean it's okay. Also, don't leave your babies [on an adult bed] for even a second no matter how safe you think you are being."
The scariest part about Paige's story is that it's easy for so many parents to relate to her situation. While there’s no guaranteed way to stop your child from taking a fall, theMayo Clinic recommendstaking a few precautions at home to make tragic spills less likely, including installing safety gates at the top and bottom of staircases, installing window guards, never leaving a child unattended on any furniture like changing tables, installing safety rails on beds for toddlers, and always placing portable car carriers on the floor. Read the full list of recommendations here.
Miraculously, Colton has taken a turn for the better since his fall. In April, he was able to open his eyes and doctors let him return home after a month in the hospital. However, he still uses a feeding tube and needs to take multiple medications for seizures. Paige says their lives are forever changed as a result of Colton's fall.
"He's doing okay, as well as he can," says Paige. "He smiles at us, which is the best thing in the world. But, doctors have explained that we need to understand that Colton suffered a very significant brain injury and in most cases, kids with this injury do not live. He will have a very hard life."
At the end of the day, Ferguson says she is just thankful her baby boy is alive and hopes other parents can learn from her story.
"I don't want other parents going through this ... I don't want any kid to go through this. Please take any hit to the head seriously.
Video: My Mother | Horror Animated Story | Horror Stories Hindi Urdu
How to Crochet Fitted Hand Warmers
The first photo of a rocky exoplanet
Summer Flu Dont Be So Sure...It Could Actually Be Lyme Disease
How to Reduce Facial Swelling
How to Do the Macarena
9 Runway Beauty Looks to Inspire Your Halloween Costume
17 Day Diet For Weight Loss
Home Interior: Brilliant Mix of Classic and Modern Home Office Design
How to Tan a Hide
20 Thanksgiving Dishes You Can Make Without A Stove
How to Advertise Your Web Business to People With Disabilities
The Touching Reason This Dad Wont Walk His Daughter Down the Aisle
MakeupShayla x ColourPop Collection